By: Lander Peerman
Lander is the co-owner of Crush Fitness Studio in Austin, TX. She was born and raised in Austin and currently lives in town with her fiancé Noah and her dog Taz.
As the female co-owner of Crush Fitness, that is set to rapidly expand starting early 2017, it’s often hard to find time to balance other aspects of my life, which include international travel with my fiancé (and the other owner of our business), raising a family and remodeling our home all on top of running our business every day. Having a few key “life rules” have helped me immensely during super stressful and busy times:
- Balance is key. In everything. Set “work hours” and stick to them. When you’re on, you’re on and then you can enjoy the time you give yourself for other aspects of your life. This is the hardest rule for every entrepreneur I’ve ever met, but I find that if I stick to work hours I am actually more efficient. That’s why its #1 on my list…
- Always make time for the ones you love. Pencil them in just like you would any other appointment. Trust me, it can be easy to go months without catching up with some of my closest friends, unless I make a point to schedule our phone chats, coffee dates or wine nights. The time spent with them can give you new perspectives, more energy and love.
- Taking care of your health is key to maintaining an active and productive lifestyle. On that note, book your workouts in your schedule ahead of time and stick to them. You wouldn’t not show up to an important job meeting…so why not show up to your workouts? Find a new class or studio in town and make it a consistent routine so it becomes part of your schedule. When I do that I find myself looking forward to my workout time and making it a priority.
- Travel. See other cultures, places, meet new people. I have also had huge personal revelations while traveling abroad. It makes you focus on what’s most important in your day to day life. Getting out of your day-to-day and seeing other parts of the city, state, country or even world can also allow for inspiration and ideas to bring back to your normal routine.
- Be true to yourself. If you hate your job, change it. If you are in a bad relationship, get out. Life is too short. There are too many goals to be accomplished, places to see, relationships to make. People make things pretty darn complicated, when in fact the answer is usually right in front of them. Don’t live your life with fear. Just take a deep breath, put one foot in front of the other and never look back.